I have a cookbook, Feeding The Whole Family by Cynthia Lair, where the pages are all dog-eared, and splattered with food stains….. and from this book comes the most amazing recipes, the quinoa chili recipe is one of them.
**I modify most recipes, so this is my modification of Cynthia’s Red Bean and Quinoa Chili. Really this cookbook is awesome and I recommend getting a copy**
- 2 cans of kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil (or in Rachel Ray style EVOO)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large pepper (I use red because they are our favorite, green is just as wonderful)
- 2 cloves of garlic, I press mine you can mince or dice or what ever your method is
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (I leave this out or else my kids wont eat it)
- 2/3 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup corn
- 2+ cups of tomato sauce, I think I use at least 2 cans, and always have an extra on hand just incase
- 1 cup of water
I heat the oil over medium heat, add the onions, salt, garlic, pepper and spices, saute for 5+ minutes. Add the quinoa, corn, tomato sauce and the water. let all of this simmer for about 20 minutes then you add the beans and cook for 5 more minutes.
If I want to make this a hearty meal I will also bake potatoes to put the chili over and top them with cheese and green onions.